30 Second Tip!
Tired of the same boring sandwich or wrap you bring to work every day? Get your pickle on!
1. Peel a carrot into ribbons.
2. Combine equal parts white distilled vinegar and sugar and add a pinch of salt.
3. Submerge carrots into liquid in an airtight container and let it sit at room temperature for at least an hour.
4. Add to a hummus and veggie wrap for a sweet, sassy, crunchy, briny bite.
5. Extra foodie tip: Pickled foods are tart and acidic. You want to balance them with contrasting flavors. For example, pickled red onions are delicious on tacos because Mexican meats and cheeses are bold and savory whereas the vinegary onions add a sharp, sweet bite. In a Greek wrap (pictured below), hummus can have a very mild flavor and a smooth texture. Brighten it up with these crunchy pickled carrots for a textural difference as well as a medley of diverse flavors.
Keep in mind that this method is called “quick pickling.” Actual pickling involves many other aromatic ingredients like peppercorns, fresh dill, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, etc. So I wouldn’t dunk cucumbers in the above recipe and expect miracles. This is just a fast way to get the job done through a more simplified method.
Kind of like spray tanning.